Purcell residents have a smoky evening

The residents of Purcell View Apartments had an eventful evening last week when a resident smelled smoke in the building on Feb. 25.

The residents of Purcell View Apartments had an eventful evening last week when a resident smelled smoke in the building shortly before midnight on Tuesday Feb. 25.

The resident pulled the manual fire alarm, bringing the Golden Fire Department over to investigate at the 12th Street South building.

“We arrived on scene very shortly after the alarm was activated…I saw that there was smoke inside the building,” said Fire Chief Ken McClure.

While the chief was investigating what turned out to be a blown fuse that was generating a lot of smoke (most of which was contained in the electrical room), the residents of the seniors housing complex had to be evacuated from the building.

“The residents were never in real danger as the electrical service did exactly what it was designed to do,” said McClure.

“Whatever was introduced into the energized electrical circuits, the fuse blew, and that eliminated any fire problem after that because it got rid of the electrical energy. However when a fuse like that blows, it creates a lot of smoke.”

Extra vehicles (from the fire department, BC Ambulance and RCMP) were brought to the location to keep the residents warm and comfortable while the building was being inspected.

“When we were able to determine that the building was safe, we moved everyone back inside to their meeting room, and then we started repairs,” said McClure.

“It was important that we were able to keep everyone warm and comfortable while they were waiting.”

An electrician was brought in right away to make the repairs, and all of the residents were able to return to their rooms that same night.

The event was a bit disruptive for the residents, some of whom were on oxygen or had taken some night time medication. It was about two hours out of their night, however McClure says all the residents were patient, understanding and grateful to the department for the assistance.

“The guys did a really good job, we had between 15 and 18 firefighters on scene in under three minutes from the time of the alarm,” he said.

“This is a good news story.”

Just Posted

Search crews rescue kids, 6 and 7, stranded overnight on Coquitlam mountain

Father and two youngsters fall down a steep, treacherous cliff while hiking Burke Mountain

Golden Secondary School Eagles soar at Kootenay championship

Submitted The Golden Secondary School track and field team has completed another… Continue reading

Your weekly Mountain Minute

Golden’s 60-second news recap

An Everest fundraiser

Man set to climb elevation of Mt. Everest in one day to raise school lunch funds

Interior Health study offers take-home drug testing kits to spot fentanyl

Interior Health to evaluate safety of at home drug testing kits aimed at reducing fentanyl overdoses

Killer of Calgary mother, daughter gets no parole for 50 years

A jury found Edward Downey guilty last year in the deaths of Sara Baillie, 34, and five-year-old Taliyah Marsman

Trudeau’s action plan on climate change brings B.C. politician out of retirement

Terry Lake, a former B.C. health minister, is running for federal office in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo

Survey finds minimal progress in Canadian military’s fight against sexual misconduct

1.6 per cent of regular-force members — 900 military personnel — reported having been victims of sexual assaults over past year

Raptors beat Bucks 120-102 to even series at 2-2

Lowry pours in 25 as Toronto moves within two games of NBA Finals

Body of missing snowmobiler recovered from Great Slave Lake

Police confirm the body is that of one of three missing snowmobilers

Toddler seriously injured after falling from Okanagan balcony

RCMP are investigating after a two-year-old boy fell from the balcony of an apartment in Kelowna

Cost jumps 35% for Trans-Canada Highway widening in B.C.

Revelstoke-area stretch first awarded under new union deal

Is vegan food a human right? Ontario firefighter battling B.C. blaze argues it is

Adam Knauff says he had to go hungry some days because there was no vegan food

Winds helping in battle against fire threatening northern Alberta town

Nearly 5,000 people have cleared out of High Level and nearby First Nation

Most Read