As winter continues to move along, Golden Fire Chief Ken McClure shared his opinion on how people can look after their chimneys in their homes.
A home burned down in the Blaeberry less than two weeks ago. The fire started from the chimney.
“We have had some really cold weather here lately and most of our people are not letting their stoves go out. You do not get that opportunity to open it up and burn it really hot to burn off any of the build up. You are keeping it choked down quite a bit,” he said. “You are going to have to monitor it quite a bit now to make sure the build up of creosote doesn’t happen.”
McClure added that, “it is very important the people continue to use dry wood and clean their chimneys regularly because they can creosote up.”
He went on to explain that this build up can ignite a chimney, and if it has any flaws, a serious fire can occur.
“The reason why you have cracks or flaws in the flues of your chimney is that you have had previous chimney fires. They can only withstand so much temperature before they start to fail.”
McClure suggested that chimneys be checked on a regular basis.
“We have got to keep them cleaned. Also, maintaining and making sure that all of your stove pipes have been taken apart and cleaned. You need to make sure that the metal of your stove pipes has not melted away. You need to have your chimney brushed, possibly by a professional who can come in,” he said.
McClure added that sometimes people can become too lax in looking after their chimneys.
“We get complacent because every day you go down and stoke up the fire. Then you go down every two or three hours to throw some pieces on and we don’t really think about it. Then a couple of weeks go by, and then a month. Then we are not checking our chimneys…If we do not shut off our wood stoves and turn on our back up heat source then it just doesn’t get done.”