Funding approved for regional hospital project in Cranbrook

The East Kootenay Regional Hospital, located in Cranbrook, will undergo a Redevelopment and Electrical Upgrade to their Intensive Care Unit.

The East Kootenay Regional Hospital District is going to see a long awaited project enter its early stages.

The East Kootenay Regional Hospital, located in Cranbrook, will undergo a Redevelopment and Electrical Upgrade to their Intensive Care Unit.

“One request we had made from Interior Health was for general funding for the redevelopment project for the Intensive Care Unit at the the Cranbrook Hospital. That’s a $20 million project. It has been approved,” said Coun. Chris Hambruch, a director with the hospital district.

The project will be funded 60 per cent ($12 million) by the province, with the remaining 40 per cent ($12 million) coming from the Regional Hospital District. The district will draw $3.5 million from their reserves, and will borrow to cover the rest of their portion.

It is a three-year project, expected to take 36 to 40 months to complete, and should be underway sometime this year.

The project has three major components: the construction of a new Intensive Care Unit (ICU) department with required support spaces and equipment (including the structural capacity to add a second floor in the future); the completion of a significant electrical upgrade to meet current code requirements; and the completion of renovations in the existing hospital, including upgrades to the existing public access corridor, and a new common entrance for the ICU.

Kootenay East MLA Bill Bennett made the announcement in the lobby of the hospital on April 5.

“I recall in 2000, Maclean’s Magazine portrayed our hospital as the poster child for how bad rural health care was in Canada. Today, this new intensive care unit complements a new ambulatory care ward, new diagnostic imaging centre, new emergency room, new entrance, and many new specialists,” he said.

He also thanked the hospital foundation, Interior Health, the volunteers, and the medical staff for their dedication and hard work.

The project is necessary to ensuring that the quality of care is maintained, and can be provided safely for all the residents in the East Kootenays who utilize the services provided at the East Kootenay Regional Hospital.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

No active confirmed COVID-19 cases in Interior Health: BCCDC

Numbers from the BCCDC’s dashboard show 193 of the 195 COVID-19 cases in the region have recovered

Golden weddings still happening, despite COVID

While the weddings tend to be smaller, Julia Cundliffe says the commitment is still real

Golden’s Shape Up Fitness providing fun fitness during pandemic

The Facebook classes have reached people across the country and has spread internationally as well

Okanagan Regional Library to begin re-opening process on June 2

Curbside pick-up and book returns will be available starting on Tuesday, June 2

New Facebook group seeks to promote Golden’s local businesses

Created just a few days ago, the group has been met positively by local businesses

March dental conference key to many of B.C.’s COVID-19 cases

Early infections from China, Iran were quickly contained

Vancouver Island First Nations gather to remember woman fatally shot by police

Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council requests an independent investigation

Regional District of Kootenay Boundary rescinds all Grand Forks-area evacuation orders

Evacuation alerts for 1,136 Boundary properties remain in effect as officials monitor forecasts

MAP: Dr. Henry reveals which B.C. regions have seen most COVID-19 cases

B.C. health officials release a first look at how the novel coronavirus has reached all corners of the province

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation woman, 26, fatally shot by police in Edmundston, N.B.

Police were conducting a well-being check at the time of the incident

Seniors to receive up to $500 in promised COVID-19 emergency aid in early July

The Liberal government first promised the extra help in mid-May, but had to create a new system to deliver the aid

Nelson counsellor works online with university students in central Asia during pandemic

Robin Higgins is home from her job in Tajikistan because of COVID-19

VIDEO: Revelstoke bear wanders into Animal House pet store

Staff got ready to chase it out with a broom

New study is first full list of species that only exist in Canada

Almost 40 per cent of them are critically imperilled or imperilled and eight are already extinct

Most Read