Very little was left after a fire tore through a Campbell Road home on Thanksgiving weekend.

Very little was left after a fire tore through a Campbell Road home on Thanksgiving weekend.

Family on Campbell Road lost home and income in one swoop

The Neigel family had one of their worst fears realized when they returned home to find their home burned to the ground.

The Neigel family had one of their worst fears realized when they returned home from vacation to find their home burned to the ground on Thanksgiving weekend.

While Cathy and Tim were away, their daughter Tori was looking after her childhood home on Campbell Road.

“The fire department phoned me, that’s how I knew the house was on fire,” said Tori, recalling how the incident played out just a few short weeks ago.

“The neighbour called it in at about 10 a.m.”

When Tori arrived at the property she was blown away by how quickly two of the structures had burned; the first being the house she grew up in, and the second being the shop where her father kept all the tools and woodworking equipment he used for his retirement income.

“If it had just been the house that burned down, we could have renovated the shop for us to live in before the winter because it is insulated,” said Cathy. “But this kind of left us without options. We lost our home, all our stuff that we accumulated over 30 years, and our source of income all in one swoop.”

To add insult to injury, the fire took their home on Oct. 9, which happens to be the day after the Neigel’s 33rd wedding anniversary.

Cathy and Tim are living in town with Tori, and will be doing so for the duration of the winter. Although the family is still trying to wrap their heads around the fact that the house is no longer there, they are still in high spirits, and are grateful to the firefighters who stopped the fire from spreading even further.

“We really want to thank the Nicholson Fire Department, and those from the Golden Fire Department who came out to fight the fire,” said Cathy. “I’m just really glad that nobody was hurt, especially when the chimney came down.”

A gofundme page has been set up to help the Neigels rebuild, and replace many of the priceless items that were lost in the fire. It can be found at http://www.gofundme.com/fresh-start-2uap5n6k.

The fire has been deemed suspicious, and is currently under active investigation by the RCMP.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COVID-19. (Image courtesy CDC)
81 new cases of COVID-19 detected in Interior Health Friday

One additional staff member at Kelowna long-term care home tests positive, no new deaths

Jake Jeannotte, age six, holds a Whisky Jack – another name for Gray Jay, Canada Jay or Camp Robber – a common bird that can be seen on the bird count. 
(Contributed)
Bird count back for 31st year

There are some slight modifications to the bird count to accomodate for COVID-19

(File)
One death and 82 new cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health

1,981 total cases, 609 are active and those individuals are on isolation

Paramedic Jason Manuel, dressed in PPE, inspects an ambulance at Station 341 on Nov. 30. (Phil McLachlan - Black Press Media)
Second wave, twice the anxiety; Okanagan paramedics reflect on pandemic from the front line

‘I don’t know who that (next) person is going to be, I don’t want it to be me or my family’: Paramedic

Dr. Albert de Villiers, Chief Medical Health Officer for the Interior Health Authority. (Contributed)
‘People need to start listening’: IH top doc combats COVID-19 misconceptions

Dr. Albert de Villiers says light at the end of the tunnel will grow in step with people’s adherence to PHO guidance

A snow moon rises over Mt. Cheam in Chilliwack on Feb. 8, 2020. Friday, Dec. 11, 2020 is Mountain Day. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress file)
Unofficial holidays: Here’s what people are celebrating for the week of Dec. 6 to 12

Mountain Day, Dewey Decimal System Day and Lard Day are all coming up this week

A laboratory technician holds a dose of a COVID-19 novel coronavirus vaccine candidate that's ready for trial on monkeys at the National Primate Research Center of Thailand. (Mladen Antonov | AFP)
WEB POLL: Will you take a vaccine for COVID-19?

Doses are expected to arrive in the new year

Travis Hirlaka, Vernon
PHOTOS: Sunrise paints Okanagan skies

Residents in the Okanagan captured stunning shots of a colourful start to Saturday

Robert Riley Saunders. (File)
First Nations Leadership Council demands justice for victims of B.C. social worker

Union of BC Indian Chiefs calls actions of Robert Saunders ‘nothing short of complete depravity’

(City of West Kelowna)
Large housing development in Central Okanagan back on the table

Council considering rezoning to accommodate 184 housing units, project hopes for ~933 by completion

Staff and students at Vernon’s Fulton Secondary School were evacuated due to an electrical short that sent one person to hospital Friday, Dec. 4, 2020. (Kerry Hutter photo)
Vernon high school evacuated, one person injured by electrical short

Incident at Clarence Fulton Secondary forced brief evacuation Friday afternoon

Two Canadian petitions are asking to have elected officials removed from office. (Pixabay.com)
COLUMN: Petitions show loss of faith in democratic process

Online petitions from third-party sources have taken aim at elected officials in Canada

Chinook salmon spawning in the Fraser River near Tete Jeune Cache. ((Shane Kalyn photo, property of the Upper Fraser Fisheries Conservation Alliance)
North-Okanagan Shuswap MP petitions government to reform salmon management

Mel Arnold tables petition to allow more angler access to non-threatened Fraser River chinook salmon

Shuswap Cider Company has applied for a licence that would accommodate a cider manufacturing facility, a tasting room and patio/lounge area at Westgate Market in Salmon Arm. (File photo)
Cider manufacturing facilty, tasting room and patio proposed for Salmon Arm

Council asked to raise a virtual glass to a licence for a cidery and amenities in Westgate Mall

Most Read