Golden Fire Rescue: Stay safe during the festivities

Golden Fire Rescue: Stay safe during the festivities


As the holiday season approaches, the Town of Golden and Golden Fire Rescue would like to remind you to eliminate potential dangers in your home that could lead to fires and injuries.

Whether it is festive cooking, Christmas trees, decorative lights or keeping yourself warm, they all pose as fire hazards. Here are some helpful tips to make sure your holidays are a safe time for everyone.

Cooking is the top cause of holiday fires and the most common culprit is food being left unattended. Make sure to keep a kitchen fire extinguisher that’s rated for all types of fires, and always check that smoke alarms are working.

Candle fires are most prominent during the month of December. To reduce the danger, maintain about a foot of space between the candle and anything that can burn. Set candles on sturdy bases and flat surfaces. If your candles are for atmosphere, consider flameless LED candles.

Christmas trees are one of the most essential holiday decorations. To minimize risk, buy a fresh tree with intact needles, get a fresh cut on the trunk, and water it every day. A well-watered tree is much less likely to ignite. Keep the tree away from heat sources, such as a fireplace or radiator. No matter how well watered the tree is, it will start to dry out after about four weeks, take it down after the holidays to prevent any fire risks.

Inside or outside, decorative lights are a great addition to your decorations. Inspect light strings, and throw out any with frayed or cracked wires or broken sockets. Extension cords should be in good condition and rated for indoor or outdoor use. When hanging lights, avoid using nails or staples, which can damage the wiring, possibly causing an electrical shock and increase the risk of a fire.

With winter already here, you have probably already started using your fire place. Although wrapping paper makes a great fire starter, don’t use it in your fire place. Lighting wrapping paper can start a chimney fire as a result of the wrappings igniting suddenly and burning intensely. If your need to remove fireplace embers or ash place them in a metal container with a lid and cover them with water. Do not dispose of them indoors or close to your home or another structure.

“Keeping your friends and families safe is the best gift of all,” says Fire Chief Dave Balding. “Please remain fire conscious and stay aware of the fire hazards in your home.”

Stay safe and happy holidays from the Town of Golden and Golden Fire Rescue.