Why I will be voting for borrowing money for the bridge to bridge project:
1. For years, the Community in Bloom judges who came to judge Golden remarked on how much of an asset the Kicking Horse River is for Golden and how important it would be to clean up the area between the two bridges.
Why would I not take their advice and vote against the best way to achieve this project?
2. As a result of climate change we see an increase in extreme weather all over the world: floods, tornadoes, landslides.
So far, we have been lucky in Golden but that doesn’t mean that we couldn’t see wild swings in the way spring runoff works in the future. I believe every year the possibility of a flood from the Kicking Horse River will increase and we need to be prepared for it.
3. A flood of the northern part of Golden would not only be a financial disaster for property owners. Imagine what it would mean to every one of us having the Post Office and both financial institutions flooded, not to mention all the other businesses. Wouldn’t it be worth spending money to prevent such a situation?
4. What would be the effect of a flooding of the sewer lift station on Kicking Horse Drive? As far as I know, all the sewage from the North end of Town, including most hotels and many restaurants in Golden, flows through that station.
5. Looking at the numbers presented by Town staff, the most sensible way to pay for the project would be by borrowing money over the long term at today’s low interest rates.
At my age I realize that means that the future owners of our property, not I, would pay the bulk of the tax increase but they would also benefit from the dyke improvements, so why shouldn’t they?
The tax increase on our property would be approximately $40 a year. Since we make monthly tax payments, that means $4 per month or less than the price of two cups of coffee. I don’t consider that a hardship.
I am convinced that every person opposed to the bridge to bridge project will be voting “no.”
If you agree with what I had to say here, please vote “yes” to increase the chances that this project will go ahead.
I am convinced that once the project is finished, future Goldenites will thank us for it.