Funding decisions to be made on Tuesday

Council decided to defer its decision on funding for ELCSAG and upgrades for Dawn Mountain to a special meeting on June 18.

CSRD Area A Director Garry Habbart was on hand at Town Council’s June 10 meeting to discuss both the Nordic Club and the Early Learning and Care Stakeholder Action Group (ELCSAG).

The discussion regarding ELCSAG was timely given the group’s late June deadline to apply for a $500,000 Child Care Capital Fund grant through the BC Early Years Office. The group recently approached Habbart in order to seek a financial commitment through the Economic Opportunity Fund (EOF), a joint fund between the Town and the CSRD that is used on projects that are mutually beneficial for both.

Because the Early Learning and Care Centre would be located within Golden, Habbart preferred to allow the Town to initiate funding for this project.

Coun. Chris Hambruch hoped to see the decision made immediately.

“I really want to see that project go ahead. I’d hate to see it dragged through some political process…I think it is paramount that we fund that project. If Director Habbart is in agreement with it, then we can be in agreement with it and put that one to bed tonight,” he said.

Council declared its support for the project, but a decision was not made regarding EOF funding and was instead deferred to a special meeting on June 17 which will include CSRD CAO Charles Hamilton and will also feature a discussion regarding Kicking Horse Culture’s funding.

The Nordic Club is looking to make upgrades to its Dawn Mountain facility with the purchase of another snowcat for trail grooming, the construction of a maintenance/events building to house the snowcats and grooming gear and an expansion of the parking lot.

The club has raised $230,000 to date and is seeking $90,000 through the EOF over the next two years.

Habbart visited the site last winter and was very impressed with the facility and supports funding the club’s upgrades with EOF.

Council will also be discussing this project and the potential use of EOF money to support it at the June 17 meeting.