A member of the Golden Fire Department outside of Golden Secondary School after this morning's chemical spill forced a student evacuation.

Chemical spill forces GSS evacuation

A chemical spill in a science lab at Golden Secondary has forced an evacuation.

A spill inside the science lab at Golden Secondary School led to a school-wide evacuation this morning.

According to District Superintendent Paul Carriere, a beaker containing butyric acid was knocked over inside the school’s science lab. A small amount of the acid came into contact with the clothing of some students. This particular acid can cause a burning sensation if it comes into contact with a person’s skin, as well as irritation to the eyes, nose and throat if inhaled. It also has a very strong odour, which quickly spread throughout the school.

Students that were inside the science lab itself were taken immediately to the Golden hospital. A few students and staff showed mild symptoms from contact with the acid. All were later released and no injuries have been reported. The rest of the students were taken to the Mount 7 Rec Plex and were later released to their parents.

The school re-opened at 4 p.m so students could retrieve their personal items. The school is scheduled to re-open in full for Monday’s classes.

Both Golden and Nicholson’s fire departments were called to the scene to investigate. The Hazardous Materails team and BC Poison Information Centre were also involved in the response.